Your skin is the largest organ of your body, and definitely one of the most important ones.
After this reading this article, take the skin quiz and find out if Facentials product(s) are right for you!
Besides keeping you looking youthful and healthy, your skin does all kinds of things – everything from protecting you against injuries and diseases to making vitamin D and managing your body temperature.
Determining your skin type is absolutely essential to ensure proper care and treatment of your skin. Knowing your skin type will help you pick the right products for your skin and helps you to provide your skin with the best care. If you are using the wrong products, it may increase the aging process of your skin!
There are 5 Basic Skin Types
- Dry Skin
- Normal Skin
- Oily Skin
- Combination Skin
- Sensitive Skin
Dry skin has the following characteristics:
- Slightly flaky and/or requires moisturizer to be applied by midday
- Almost invisible pores
- Dull, rough complexion
- Red patches
- Less elasticity
- More visible lines
What causes dry skin?
- Aging or hormonal changes
- Weather such as wind, sun, or cold
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from tanning beds
- Indoor heating
- Long, hot baths and showers
- Ingredients in soaps or cosmetics
What are some of the remedies for dry skin?
- Take shorter showers and baths, no more than once daily.
- Use mild, gentle soaps or cleansers (all natural).
- Avoid deodorant soaps.
- Don't scrub while bathing or drying.
- Apply a rich moisturizer right after bathing. Ointments and creams may work better than lotions for dry skin but are often messier. Reapply as needed throughout the day.
- Use a humidifier and don't let indoor temperatures get too hot.
- Wear gloves when using cleaning agents, solvents, or household detergents.
Normal skin feels clean and balanced after cleansing. Normal skin is not too dry and not too oily.
- No or few imperfections
- No severe sensitivity
- Barely visible pores
- A radiant complexion
Face can have a shiny look to it. It’s easy for the pores to be clogged with sebum.
To take care of oily skin:
- Wash your skin no more than twice a day and after you perspire heavily.
- Use a gentle cleanser and don't scrub.
- Don't pick, pop, or squeeze pimples. This prolongs healing time.
- Use products labeled as "noncomedogenic." They tend not to clog pores.
Combination skin has oiliness around forehead and nose while dry in other areas. A combination skin type can be dry or normal in some areas and oily in others, such as the T-zone (nose, forehead, and chin). Many people have combination skin, which may benefit from slightly different types of skin care in different areas.
Combination skin can produce:
- Overly dilated pores
- Shiny skin
Sensitive skin can show up as:
Our skin is a living organ and its designed to tell us when something isn’t right. Many people say they have sensitive skin because skin care products, or household products that contact their skin, cause stinging, burning, redness, or tightness. Or they say they have it because even though they have no visible effects after contact with a product, it always makes their skin feel uncomfortable.
But here is what dermatologists look for when diagnosing sensitive skin:
- Skin reactions such as pustules (a small blister or pimple on the skin containing pus), skin bumps, or skin erosion
- Very dry skin, which doesn't properly protect nerve endings in the skin
- A tendency toward blushing and skin flushing
From one person to the next, sensitive skin responds differently to different cleansing methods. But most dermatologists agree that “deodorant” soap or highly fragranced soap contains strong detergents and shouldn't be used on the face.
What should I look for in skin care products that will make them less irritating to sensitive skin?
More “skin-friendly” products for sensitive skin contain:
- Only a few ingredients
- Little or no fragrance
If you have sensitive skin, avoid products containing:
- Antibacterial or deodorant ingredients
- Retinoids or alpha-hydroxy acids
Take the Skincare Quiz and Find Out What Product(s) are right for you!